School of Foreign Service
Emily Mendenhall is a Provost's Distinguished Associate Professor in the Science, Technology and International Affairs Program in the School of Foreign Service. She is a member of the Global Health Initiative faculty committee.
International activities include:
- Author of Rethinking Diabetes: Entanglements with Trauma, Poverty, and HIV (Cornell University Press, 2019).
- Lead author of a series of articles on syndemics in The Lancet published in 2017, which provides an innovative way to think about social determinants of health.
- Conducted a decade-long cross-cultural study of the synergistic intersections of poverty, depression, and diabetes among the urban poor in India, Kenya, South Africa, and the United States.
- Co-editor of Global Mental Health: Anthropological Perspectives (2015) as well as the "Global Health Narratives" book series.
- Published more than three dozen articles in medical anthropology and global health.